Sunday, May 19, 2013

On Bravery

Some of you may not know this but Angelina Jolie  underwent a double mastectomy.   She found out that she carried the gene that she had a greater than 50% chance of developing breast cancer.  I could not believe it.  My cousin's wife did the same thing but she is not related to be by blood and no one in my family has ever had breast cancer but I have gone and gotten two mammograms and fortunately they were clear.  Now, I know there are a lot of women out there who should have gotten one and are sitting there knowing their doctor recommended it and did not do it.  Are you ever too young to get a mammogram,  I say no.  So, even younger girls need to have a screening and lack of insurance is not an excuse because if you call the cancer society they will help you find a place to get one for free.  I am bringing this up because one of the illnesses that runs in my family is intestinal or colon cancer.  We have only lost one because everyone gets their colonoscopy regularly and believe me they are no fun.  I had one when I was 35.  If you are 50 your doctor will recommend you get one.  I am going in to get one tomorrow.  I have been having some problems that my doctor did not like so, tomorrow is the big day.  Tomorrow is a breeze today is the bad day in the prep and I won't get into what is required if you want information just look up colonoscopy and you will find out and if you want to see one you can go to YouTube and see one up close and personal.  So, while these screenings are a pain they are early detectors of cancer and I am sure that the prep and discomfort of the screening is far less painful than cancer.  So, if any of you have an order for some kind of screening that your doctor has ordered just do it.  Be brave.
Ciao bellas,
Patty

No comments: